Friday, August 28, 2009

Bathroom stalls

   It is difficult to love people when they don't know that you do. (I sound like the love-sick 14 year old version of myself. This is oh so different than it used to be. haha)
I mean, how do you interfere into people's lives? People who I watch with hope. People who I pray for. People who I watch. All without their knowing. Young girls in dangerous relationships. Men throwing themselves to things that will disintegrate sooner than they think. Taking risks with their lives. Except, it cannot rightly be called a "risk" because if they just looked around themselves, they would see the cause-and-effect law that has shaped the lives of countless before them. 
  Sometimes humans act proud of the fact that they "learn the hard way". You don't have to. Smart people are smart because they don't. It's not poetic or good for plot development. It hurts.
  I saw scrawled onto a bathroom wall next to confessions of love and hatred, "Follow your heart more."  I wonder what she meant. (I assume "she" because I was in the "she" stall.) Usually when people of my age group make statements like that they mean, "Be more spontaneous. Experiment. Don't think things through so much. " or, "Throw off your elder's recommendations. They are irrelevant now in this new season. Take a risk and give yourself to the "bad boy."
 
I always find it ironic that young people learn their lessons from the inside of bathroom stalls.

Perhaps this is the inside of a bathroom stall for me. I want to tell people to their face that I see the direction they are walking in. I am afraid that they will accuse me of judging them. (A Christian's worst fear. Lame. Some people die for what they believe.) 
They don't know that I love them. God, help me show them. Help me be bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment